Deconstruction Quickie here.
This is your yearly reminder that Being A Member Of A Marginalized Group does not automatically make you an ally to all other Marginalized Groups.
- Dan Savage on Disabilities (And Again Here)
- Dan Savage on Fat
- Dan Savage on Bisexuals
- Dan Savage on Trans* People (And Again Here)
- Dan Savage on Race
- Dan Savage on Feminism and Evo-Essentialism
- Dan Savage on Domestic Violence [Content Note: Ableism Language]
This is one of the many, many reasons why the comment policy here focuses on intersectionality and why I stress so long and so hard that pretty much everyone on earth has some kind of privilege and pretty much everyone on earth has some kind of marginalization and the important thing in my mind is learning how to:
- Recognize your privileges and check them at the door as much as possible.
- Recognize marginalized groups (even ones you belong to) are not a monolith hivemind.
- Recognize other people can be marginalized even if they look awfully privileged.
- Recognize that negative generalizations against all/most "X people" are unfair and unwelcome.
- Treat everyone with as much respect as possible.
This shouldn't be hard. That it is for some people, particularly for some nationally syndicated people, breaks my heart.